Dull skin is still one of the most difficult skin problems to overcome. Apart from various causes, every method of brightening or whitening dull skin is not necessarily suitable for everyone.
So, what are these methods and how do you choose the right one for you?
How to lighten skin through daily habits
Lifestyle, daily habits, to diet can affect skin health. Here are some skin treatments and habits that can help brighten your skin.
1. Eat lots of fruit high in vitamin CVitamin C works by increasing the production of collagen so that the skin is firm and glowing. A study also showed that the use of skincare products containing vitamin C for 12 weeks can delay the symptoms of premature aging.
This vitamin is proven to reduce wrinkles, prevent skin damage, and increase the production of collagen which is the supporter of skin tissue. You can get these benefits by eating oranges, papayas, mangoes, and guavas.
2. Protect the skin from the sunIf you crave healthy and glowing skin, don't leave your skin out in the sun too long. The reason is, exposure to ultraviolet rays from the sun can cause dull skin and make skin tone uneven.
Therefore, always protect your skin by applying a sunscreen product or sunscreen containing SPF 30 every time you go out of the house. Use especially on the face and arms that are more often exposed to the sun.
3. Get enough sleepWhen you get enough sleep, your body has the opportunity to rebuild collagen. Adequate sleep also increases blood flow under the skin so that the skin gets nutrients. So, make sure you sleep at least 7 hours every day.
4. Exercise regularlyExercise increases the heart's ability to pump blood throughout the body, including skin tissue. Skin that receives enough oxygen and nutrients will look healthier, moisturized, and radiant.
You can get these benefits simply by doing light exercise. The best exercises for the skin include jogging, walking, swimming, and cycling. Do the routine at least three days a week to get the results.
5. Meet the needs of body fluidsAnother easy way to lighten the skin is to meet the needs of fluids. Water maintains skin moisture and maintains collagen tissue. These two things play an important role in making the skin look soft, dense, and radiant.
The best sources of fluids for the skin are water, vegetables, and fruits. Avoid liquids in the form of alcoholic beverages because alcohol has the property of attracting water. Excessive alcohol consumption can make the skin dry, rough, and dull.
6. Eat vitamin-rich foodsSkin needs a lot of nutrients and antioxidants to maintain its shape and function, ward off free radicals, and produce collagen. Vitamin B (biotin), vitamin C, and vitamin E are some types of vitamins that are very good for the skin.
You can get all of these nutrients from healthy foods in the form of vegetables, fruit, and nuts.
Some examples of the best foods for the skin include:
- green vegetable,
- olive oil, dan
How to lighten skin with a skincare routine
The benefits of the lifestyle changes that you live will be more optimal when accompanied by a skincare routine. Here are some things related to the routine of using skincare products that can help overcome dull skin.
1. Take a shower and wash your faceOne of the causes of dull skin is clogged pores. So, keep your skin clean by bathing at least once a day and washing your face twice a day. This activity helps prevent clogged pores due to dirt and oil.
When bathing or washing your face, choose a cleanser that suits your skin type. Use a mild soap that is minimal in chemical additives so that the skin does not dry out.
2. Using a moisturizerMoisturizer is an important requirement for getting glowing skin. Use moisturizer within 2-3 minutes after bathing and washing your face so that the content in it can immediately trap the remaining water that enters the skin.
Make sure you choose a moisturizer that suits your skin type. Even if your skin is oily, you still need to use a moisturizer. It's just that, of course, you have to choose a moisturizer for oily skin that doesn't clog pores.
3. Using skincare products containing vitamin CVitamin C helps prevent skin aging and disguises black and brown spots on the skin. This vitamin also reduces excess melanin production which may exacerbate dull skin problems in some people.
So, don't forget to add vitamin C to your skincare routine. Choose products with high vitamin C content and use them regularly to get optimal results.
4. Using kojic acidMany people lighten and whiten the skin by using kojic acid. This compound is used as a skin lightening agent because it is able to inhibit the function of certain enzymes needed in the formation of melanin.
You can find kojic acid in a variety of products, including masks and face washes. In general, it takes 2-6 weeks to see its effect on dull skin.
5. ExfoliateExfoliation is a very important element in brightening the skin. By exfoliating, you remove the layer of dead skin cells that make your skin look dry and dull.
You can exfoliate in two ways, mechanically using a scrub or chemically with a toner containing AHA and BHA. Do it regularly once a week to get a whiter face.
6. Don't overdo itAvoid using too many care or beauty products. This can actually make your skin unhealthy because the beauty products you buy are not necessarily suitable for your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin.
How to lighten skin with a bath
Diligent bathing does not necessarily make your skin white at the same time. However, the right way of bathing can get rid of dirt and dead skin cells so that your skin looks whiter and cleaner.
Here are a series of ways to bathe properly to have skin that looks white.
1. Take a cold showerIf you want to have glowing white skin, the solution is to take a cold shower. Cold showers can temporarily narrow the blood vessels in the skin, thereby narrowing pores and reducing redness.
Closing pores can also prevent dirt from entering easily. Dirt is the main cause of dull skin. Skin that is always clean of dirt will make you look whiter and brighter.
2. Rub the skin before bathingScrubbing the skin before bathing is a simple way to whiten dull skin. This process will remove the layer of dead skin cells. The skin can also regenerate and the top layer is always filled with new healthy cells.
Use a scrubbing brush made of natural fibers. Choose a brush with a long handle that can reach your entire body. After that, follow these steps.
- Start scrubbing from the soles of your feet, then work your way up.
- Rub your skin in a wide circular motion in a clockwise direction.
- Rub gently on thin skin, and apply light pressure to thicker skin (eg soles of the feet). Avoid skin that has rashes, cuts, or infections.
- After scrubbing all the legs, rub the entire arm to the armpits.
- Once you're done scrubbing all over your body, take a cold shower to remove the layer of dead skin.
- Dry your body, then apply a natural moisturizer such as coconut oil.
3. Choose the right care productsMany people focus on finding the right way to take a shower so that their skin looks white, but don't pay attention to the products used. In fact, certain products can make the skin dry quickly, peel, and accumulate, causing dull skin.
Some other products can even cause irritation and are toxic to the skin. This is why it is important to pay attention to the content of the product you are using. Limit the use of care products that contain the ingredients below.
- Petroleum distillate
4. Avoid bathing with warm water for too longBathing with warm water has many benefits for the body. However, taking a warm bath for too long can strip the skin of its natural oils, making the skin look dull. Dirt can also enter the open pores.
If you want to take a warm shower, don't exceed 5-10 minutes. Also avoid bathing with water that is too hot. After 10 minutes, rinse your body with lukewarm water and dry it immediately with a towel.